Over the past weeks, many academic centers, health systems and businesses have issued notices that do not allow for domestic travel and gatherings on a large scale. After much consideration in conjunction with our venue and city partners, MomoCon 2020 will be cancelled, with MomoCon returning bigger and better than ever in 2021 (May 27-30th, 2021). We would like to thank the Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau, the Georgia World Congress Center, and Eventsphere, our housing partner, for their extensive efforts over the past few weeks to attempt to find alternate dates, move existing business, and aid the efforts.
MomoCon’s goal has always been to provide a world-class event. Like many of you, we have been eagerly anticipating and preparing for MomoCon 2020, but the health and safety of attendees, volunteers, vendors, exhibitors, and everyone else involved must come first. Our concern is for both the health of everyone involved and the quality of event we can deliver with the current challenges we are all facing.
Our team has been meeting to discuss recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization. In light of the potential risks associated with large gatherings and increasing global travel restrictions, it became very clear that not holding the event over the originally scheduled dates was the right thing to do.
We are grateful to everyone who has worked tirelessly in the planning of MomoCon and those who will continue to assist with next steps for our 2021 event. The 2020 MomoCon experience was years in the making, with thousands of volunteers, speakers, attendees, exhibitors and community partners coming together to make this event possible. Our vital work will continue in the days and weeks ahead.
Thank you for your commitment to MomoCon and to our community as a whole. It’s been a challenging time and we appreciate your patience while we’ve worked with partners to find the best path forward. We will provide more details and information on our website, through our social media channels and via email to various groups affected in the coming days.
Our hotel partner Eventsphere is ready to process the cancellation of hotel rooms within the MomoCon block at our partner hotels. They will be in contact with all reservation holders via email this week. If you need to reach out to them, they are available at firstname.lastname@example.org, but we encourage you to give them some time as the volume will initially be high. Reaching out to them is not required to process your hotel cancellation, which will happen automatically, so we encourage you to only reach out if you have questions or concerns. No credit cards or deposits have been charged from the reservations at this time and they will not be for the 2020 event.
Reservations made directly through a hotel must be cancelled directly with that hotel or booking service. Please refer to your reservation confirmation for refund information for direct hotel or third party bookings; MomoCon is unable to intervene in these circumstances.
Travel bookings for most major airlines have been made more flexible for transfers due to the current US situation; if you have booked travel, please contact your airline directly for what options are available.
If you have pre-paid for Red Deck parking, please contact ParkMobile directly at 866-330-7275. They have been advised that all refunds are approved.
If you purchased True Dungeon tickets at td.events, the folks at True Dungeon will begin processing full refunds today at 5:00 pm central. The refunds may take up to a week to show up on your credit card, but they will all be initiated tonight by TD. If you have any questions about your refund, please email email@example.com for assistance.
MomoCon has been around for 15 years, through 5 venues, one college campus, and even a tornado. We aren’t going anywhere and we look forward to bringing you amazing entertainment long into the future. We thank you immensely for your support and understanding right now.
You have a few options for your membership if you’ve already purchased:
- If you would like to retain your membership for our next convention, you don’t need to take any action. This rollover will happen automatically for attendees on May 15, 2020, with no ticketing fees for repurchases, unless another option is chosen. If you do choose to roll over your registration to the next MomoCon, we have something special for you: an exclusive MomoCon item that will not be released in any other form or fashion, as a memento of thanks for sticking with us through this. These will be provided for you at the next convention.
- If you request a refund, it will be provided with no questions asked. Thank you for allowing us a little time for the ticketing provider to process. Please request before May 15, 2020 for refund consideration.
- If you’d like to have your merchandise order mailed to you or refunded, all who have pre-purchased merchandise will receive an email within a few weeks for options.
Vendors and Artists
We understand the gravity of postponements and cancellations in the event space. This industry touches many small businesses, artists, conventions, vendors, and other workers that rely on the sales from events for their livelihood. If you’re able, there are ways you can help the conventions, vendors, and artists you love, at MomoCon and other events.
- Think about carrying over your convention memberships to the next year/event for postponed cons, opting not to get a refund, if you can. That small amount can go a long way to help the events you love continue for future years.
- Take a look at the list of vendors and artists for a convention. Support them. Commission things. Get early holiday gifts. Grab a gift card for when things are better! We will be featuring exhibitors and artists through the coming weeks on our social media channels.
- Don’t have the ability to spend right now? Spread awareness and positive posts about the cons and vendors. A little kindness goes a long way.
Small actions now mean a lot to people and communities that are hurting.
If you are a vendor, artist, or indie game developer registered for MomoCon, look for an email from us today with your options for the next convention and refunds.
Participants who have submitted for various contests, game shows, panels, and fan-organized photoshoots and gatherings will be contacted in the coming weeks by their section coordinators.
Online and Future Offerings
Some features of MomoCon will continue online! We will share more details about some of our contests and events in an online/distance format soon.
We will be working with guests and agents currently booked for MomoCon 2020 throughout the coming weeks to ensure as much of the awesome event we’ve been planning for the past year can carry forward to the new year, but please bear with us as some guests may have scheduling conflicts. We want to bring you the best event possible and will do everything in our power to keep the awesome set of guests and amenities we have now while adding new features to help fill in for those guests and partners who cannot attend the new dates. Thank you for your patience on further updates, as this will take some time.